
The Woodwards are favorites of every senior missionary. They had to leave us in April for Emergency medical leave. We all hoped and prayed they would return to us this month, but it was not to be.
Sr. Woodward was in charge of the PEF (Perpetual Education Fund) in the Africa West Area. She interviewed students who wanted educational loans from the church. It is a beautiful program inspired by revelation to President Gordon B. Hinkley, our past prophet, to bring people out of poverty through education. It is available to those who are 30 years or younger. When Sr. Woodward began administering the program their were about 70 young adults taking advantage of the program. When she left there were over 250. She not only gave them opportunity but she loved them dearly and they loved her. She knew each one, text messaging them every month, sending greetings on their birthdays, and giving hugs to them as they would drop by the office.
Elder Woodward was in charge of welfare funds. These are used to help schools, communities, and individuals. Members of the church fast one Sunday a month and contribute the cost of two meals to the church. These funds are used to help members in need...some in need of basics like food,housing,and medical. Applications come to him through bishops and then he reviews them and submits them for approval. Welfare funds donated by members help to provide major projects: relief after a disaster, improvement to a school or hospital, wheelchairs for the handicaped, etc.
The wonderful thing about the Woodwards was their light heart. Their ability to laugh when things were not going great. Sr. Woodward gave you a word of encouragement and a great smile even though she herself was not feeling well at all. She would always say "I just love being here! I can't believe I was allowed to come to Africa! I love my mission." She felt that way every minute and fought going home until it was clear she had to.
Elder Woodward was Elder Shipley's walking partner. They walked the streets of Accra every morning at 5:30am for an hour, taking a different route each day. I'm sure they talked over everything. There is nothing better. It is like Sally in Peanuts "The Doctor is In". They loved that time together. It just hasn't been the same since they left.
Fortunately the Woodwards live within a mile or two of one of our sons...so we know we will see them again! We Love you Woodwards!
2 comments:
Mom, I guess you will have to wake up at 5:30am now and go walking with Dad! Sorry you guys lost your good friends! I am sure there will be many people saying the same great things about you come August!
So sorry you had to say goodbye to the Woodwards. Hopefully you get to see them again in a few months--can't believe I can say that already!
Post a Comment