Thursday, May 14, 2009

Arrive Early!


We attended Tema Stake Conference on Sunday. As always in West Africa, we have found if you want a decent seat arrive early. We were in the first overflow and 40 minutes early. By the time the meeting started the room was completely full - probably about 1500+ people! Notice the fans. Its hot in West Africa and so in every chapel and classroom fans hang from the ceiling. We always try to sit under one. When the chapel and overflow fills they fill the classrooms and pipe a video feed into TVs.

This little girl sat across the isle from us. I love the children in Africa. This is the first time I had ever seen a little girl dressed Ghanaian style. I just had to take her picture! Most girls dress in frilly American style Sunday dresses - very pretty dresses like you'd see on Easter Sunday. Notice her little sister with all the piggy bands or barretts in her hair. This is typical on very little girls. As you can see all most all of the men and boys were white shirts and ties. A few African men come in their caftans. I think these are usually not members - just coming to see what the church is all about. Community leaders are often invited to meetings like this.

Elder Cardon spoke on witnesses of Christ.

John 5:36
The works (miracles) Christ performed bear witness that He was the Son of God
John 5:37; Mark 1:11; Matthew 17:5
Heavenly Father bore witness of Jesus Christ
John 1:33-34; Mark 1:7;
John the Baptist bore record of Christ as the Son of God
Matthew 16:16-17
The Disciples bore testimony of Christ as the Son of God
John 5:39
The scriptures bear testimony that Jesus is the Son of God


I could not help but think that without the words of the prophets, would we have much knowledge of Christ? All books of scripture should bear witness of Christ, as the Son of God.

The prophet Isaiah of the Old Testament testified of Christ (Isaiah 7:14)

The Disciples, and people who knew Christ like Mary Magdelene, people who were healed: all bore witness that Jesus was the Son of God.

The Book of Mormon is filled with prophets who were witnesses of Christ.
1st Nephi 11:20-33; Helaman 14:2-6 Samuel the Lamanite; Mosiah 15, Abinadi
and many more.

We can be witnesses of the Savior. We bear the fruit that grows from living His Words. Our countenance witnesses of Him; Our words witnesses of Him; our love of our fellow man witness of the Savior. I have pondered over this idea of witnesses and have come to the conclusion that on judgement day our life will witness our faith in Him. Our eyes will witness if we have faith in Him by the light they radiate. Our words that flow from our mouths will honor Him and us or condemn Him and us. Our very nature will be determined by an accumulation of our good works or our evil works and will accessed by Him quickly. Our repentent nature, our humility or pride: all will be evident to Him.

Jewish law demanded two or witnesses of people or events. Latter-day scriptures say that everything will be established by 2 or 3 witnesses. In reading the scriptures I find the doctrines taught in the Old Testament and repeated in the New Testament and confirmed in the Book of Mormon. It is really a fun study because you can pick up more depth as you compare what is said in each source and increase understanding.

Ezekial wrote: "Thus saith the Lord God; Behold I will take the stick of Joseph(Book of Mormon) which is in the hand of Ephriam and the tribes of Israel his fellows and will put them with him, even the stick of Judah (The Bible) and make them one stick, and they shall be one in mine hand. And the sticks whereon thou writest shall be in thine hand before their eyes. And say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold I will take the children of Israel from among the heathen, whither they be gone and will gather them on every side and bring them into their own land. And I will make them one nation in the land upon the mountains of Israel;" God uses all scriptures to testify of His only Begotten Son.

I am grateful for all the witnesses we have that bare testimony of the Savior, as the literal Son of God.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I think it is AWESOME that they come early, and that the chapels are so full. What desire to hear the word of God! And what a cute little girl. I am so glad you snapped a picture :)