Sunday, May 31, 2009

Profound Wisdom

I have spent the last month rivited to the pages of Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis.I always loved The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe with all its symbolism. I've heard countless talks in our LDS General Conferences where C S Lewis has been quoted, many of them coming from Mere Christianity. So when I saw the book on the shelf of our new bookstore in the mall here in Accra, it reached out and said "Take ME!"

Here are some of his quotes I love:

"Aim at Heaven and you will get 'earth thrown in': aim at earth and you will get neither."

"Pride is spiritual cancer: it eats up the very possibility of love, or contentment, or even common sense."

One of the great secrets of life: "When you are behaving as if you loved someone, you will presently come to love him."

"Man cannot disobey those laws which he shares with other living things (gravitational laws, biological laws), but the law which is peculiar to his human nature(a moral law of good conduct), the law he does not share with animals or vegetables or inorganic things, is the one he can disobey if he chooses."

"You cannot make men good by law: and without good men you cannot have a good society."..."nothing but the courage and unselfishness of individuals is ever going to make any system work properly."

"He gave them (man) free will because a world of mere automata could never love and therefore never know infinite happiness." (then giving our free will to obedience of God's laws or the Law of Nature (moral conduct) brings infinite happiness)

"The more you obey your conscience, the more your conscience will demand of you."

"No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is."

"Christ because He was the only man who never yielded to temptation is also the only man who knows to the full what temptation means."

"The great thing to remember is that, though our feelings come and go, His love for us does not. It is not worried by our sins, or our indifference and, therefore, it is quite relentless in its determination that we shall be cured of those sins, at whatever cost to us, at whatever cost to Him."

Well I could go on and on - I love this man's thoughts and reasoning.

3 comments:

Holly said...

I LOVE CS Lewis. Thanks for sharing all of those great quotes. You could do a whole blog entry on each one!

Charmaine Anderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charmaine Anderson said...

Thanks for the CS Lewis quotes from Mere Christianity. It is a favorite book of mine. His wisdom is so very amazing. I read his life story, "Surprised by Joy," He paid the price for his testimony of Jesus Christ in thousands of hours of reading and pondering.

I removed the last comment. I am starting a new blog with my art and somehow it got mixed up with my other blog. I am not techy enough to figure this stuff out completely.