Sunday, May 31, 2009

Is Pride More Important than Peace?

I love Sunday's in Ghana. When you go to church, doctrine is preached by almost everyone who gives a talk. Now mind you these are just members who give the talks. They are like you and me. Well sort of. The difference with them is their only souce for information is their life experience, the scriptures and the Liahona.

Today in Kasoa Wared, Sr. Tay gave a talk on Forgiveness. She used Doctrin and Covenants 64:9-10, and Matthew 18:21-22. We are to forgive everyone. We are to forgive 7 times 77. But what I loved about her talk was not just that message but her reasoning behind it.

If you do not forgive she said, you are filled with bitterness and hatred. The more you hold onto an unforgiving heart, the more it cuts you. Prayers are hinderd. If our unforgiveness is against our spouse it will poison our marriage. You will stop praying together. Your feelings for your spouse will be anger and resentment. Your example shall bounce back to you in your children. Though you think it frees you, it only fills you will self hatred and bitterness. Often pride gets in our way. "Is your pride more important that your peace?", she asked. You block your blessings when you cannot forgive. You bring sickness upon yourself. In the end you help the devil fulfill his mission - to destroy your happiness, your peace, your joy, your family.

Forgiveness on the other hand brings love, peace, and joy into hearts and into the home.

I will miss these people. They say things so clearly.

1 comment:

Holly said...

So true, so true. Whenever I read Pres. Benson's talk on pride, I find yet another way I am being prideful. Kind of like what CS Lewis said. The more I try to be good (humble), the more I see all of the ways I am prideful. :) Luckily, every day we get to start over again! I am grateful for each new day.