Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Christmas Dress for Ellen


We who are serving in Africa continually discover that it is a small world.
President Smith and his wife, President of the Ghana Accra Mission, and Elder Stubbs and his wife, our Area Doctor, were traveling together one Sunday to church. This day the journey was long. As they conversed with one another they found they were both had ties in Canada. In their conversation one began to tell a Christmas story that occured in Canada. Sr. Smith after hearing the story said: Ellen is my mother!To which Dr. Stubbs said - "Well the postman was my brother-in-law's grandfather!

If you have not had the opportunity of reading "A Christmas Dress for Ellen", find it take a few minutes to read it. It is a beautiful and sweet true story of a family in Canada and how the Lord extends some tender mercies their way because some people listened carefully to the spirit and became "angels". It will touch your heartstrings and fill your heart with the joy of Christmas. It is evidence that the Savior knows each one of us. Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

Wattski said...

'Tis a small world indeed. I have known for many years through my work, Paul Jeppson, who is 'Ellen's' little brother. He gave me a copy of the un-edited version of the story. I told this story to the YM in our ward last week. Before going to class, I asked one of the missionaries assigned to the ward if he knew of the little town of Hillspring, where the story occurred (he's from Cardston). He was very familiar with Hillspring and came to the class to hear the story. Turns out he knows the postman's family and he (the postman) has a grandson that is now on a mission. Elder Jim Watts

Marian said...

Maybe the legacy of this story helped to set in the hearts of the descendents of Ellen and the postman great faith in Christ which have led these descendents into the mission field....hmm a thought.

Heather said...

I'll have to find the story. Such a small world. That's neat.

Charmaine Anderson said...

This story was in Family Circle or Woman's Day a few years ago and I have been reading it on Christmas ever since. It always makes me cry. I noticed last week that Costco in Bountiful is selling it. I was excited that it had been made into a book. The church is a small world for sure.