
This past week I had the opportunity to be an escort to a sweet lady named Precious Dike. Her parents named her perfectly - she truly is "Precious" Precious was baptized just a year ago and came this week to receive her endowment in the temple. Some of her ward came a week or two ago, but not being a member a year she was unable to go with them. Her friends told her that she could go in December, but she told them she didn't want to wait that long. So she got on a bus by herself in Cotonou, BENIN and rode 8 hours to Accra for this special day.
I met Precious in July when she came with a senior missionary couple who had completed their mission, having served 18 months in BENIN. Her membership record could not be located so I was contacted to help find it, which I did. She also wanted her patriarchal blessing at that time and so Elder Shipley arranged with our resident patriarch who works in the Area Office for her blessing. Precious has a beautiful countenance and we were immediately endeared to her.
She has had a difficult past. Shortly after the birth of her 3rd child, her husband was killed in an accident in Nigeria. It was a very difficult time for her. She moved to Cotonou to live with her parents and receive the support and comfort needed to cope with her sorrow. A year ago she was introduced to the church by a friend. She received a testimony of the restored gospel quickly as she felt the spirit testify to her heart of its truthfulness. She loves the gospel and realizes what a positive influence it has been in her life and the blessing it has been to her children and her mother.
This week I fulfilled a promise made to her in July to accompany Precious when she choose to come to the temple. The spirit was strong, and we had a sweet experience...it was as if she was my own daughter. I am sure it will be one of the highlights of my mission. I love these people.
4 comments:
That is one of the greatest feelings ever--to be able to accompany a convert you know and love to the temple. I'm glad you had that experience. BTW--happy half-way in just a week!
What a sweet experience for both of you!
That really is a nice story. On an unrelated note, perhaps a phonetic spelling of her last name is in order.
I was a temple escort to my own daughter this year. No assignment is more wonderful.
Post a Comment