Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Carpet Bowls


Last Friday night we were invited to the Golden's home for dinner and a game of Carpet Bowling. We were first treated to a wonderful chicken curry dinner. It reminded me of the curry I make at home -one that Marilyn Branham taught us all how to make in Relief Socity. It was yummy with bananas, coconut, chutney and pineapple to add on top.

After dinner, Elder Golden got out Carpet Bowls, a South African game. You have two balls each - they are a little bigger than a pool ball and they are weighted. There is also a little white ball that is dropped on the carpet. The object is to roll your balls as close to the white ball as you can. The closest roll gets a point.

If you put the weighted circle on your right, as you roll the ball, it will turn left. If you put it on the left side as you roll the ball, it will roll right. If you put it straight up it rolls straight. The men were first. Elder Cardon and our DTA, Bob Eppel comprised one team and Dad and Pres. Snow were the other team. The men were fascinated with the curve, but that was their downfall. They just had a hard time getting it to roll to the little white ball that was droped at the far end of the carpet. They would roll too hard or without success, try to get the curve under control. As the game progressed they got better.

The women were next and learned a lot by watching the men. Sr. Snow and Sr. Eppel were partners and Sr. Cardon and I were partners. The women had a softer touch to the roling, and none tried to curve the ball. Sr. Cardon and I won the women's round.

After dessert we had a playoff:the champion women's team against the champion men's team. Near the end, the men were ahead. I had the last roll..well you all know my competitive side...maybe I should have just let them win!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I am glad to see Steve embracing African style.

Robyn said...

Never LET them win mom. I remember giving dad a game like that a few years ago for Christmas.

Holly said...

It looks like alot of fun. Steve is always talking about how competitive you and Dad are when we are playing games with Marlene and Gary--you have a big reputation to live up to when you get back. . .

Love Dad's shirt. I hope he brings one of those back with him for Steve--it would be a much improved version of the t-shirt swap. :)

Heather said...

I am convinced that our competitive spirits are what attracted our spouses to us (each of us in the family). They complain about it, but it's part of the fire in us that they like! And Robyn's right--unless you're dealing with a 5-year old, you never LET them win!! Way to play, Mom!