




One Monday a few weeks ago, I stole away and went batiking with 3 other senior missionaries.
Our task: to make a tablecloth. We choose the colors we wanted in our tablecloth. I choose brown and rose pink. The owner stirred up the die and put my cloth into it. We did the rose pink first. It was placed in a die that turned the material green, but when it was put on the lawn to dry it immediately began turning pink! (In this picture the material was died dark blue and turned emerald green.) Next we choose our stamps which were dipped in wax and then pressed on the material. I had my own clothes on then Elder Shipley's dishwashing shirt which had many bleach spots on it already. So when you look at my picture you might think I've gained a whole lot of weight. All those shirts just make me look huge. The guy offered to stamp my tablecloth - but I was there for the experience. It took me about 3 times of stamping before I got the right pressure. After the stamping it was dying time again - this time he mixed up black and dyed the pink material in the black solution. Again it was placed on the lawn and I watched the black turn brown. Where the wax stamps hit the material that area stayed pink. I had so much fun. It was a nice break from all the work.
5 comments:
Let me be the first to say in blog form: Happy birthday Elder Shipley. You're a credit to all Brunis everywhere.
Way to go mom. Maybe you can't start a business when you get home! That's pretty interesting that the colors change as they dry.
Batiking sounds great! Glad to hear you were able to get out and do something fun. And I think you look pretty cute in Elder Shipley's duds.
wow that sounds so cool! i'm jealous XD
I'm embarrassed to say how long it has been since I have read anyone's blog. This looks like it would be so much fun. Wish I could come out and visit and go batiking with you--it would be much more fun than packing. . .
Post a Comment