Sunday, June 8, 2008

Elder and Sister Shipley


Well here we are. Jess, our daughter-in-law suggested that we put a picture of us on the blog. We are standing in front of New Town Ward. This is a leased building that works quite well for this ward. Every Sunday Elder Shipley and I visit a different ward. We are trying to get a feel for what the Saints are like here in Africa. To sense their needs, their strengths, and their weaknesses.

We arrived about a half hour before church was to begin. About 15 minutes before beginning, the chorister got up and started directing us all in hymn singing. The room was about half full. We find this quite common here. It actually sets the tone quite well for Sacrament Meeting. These people sing very well. Often acapella as few know how to play the piano.

Today was Father's Day here in Africa. The Primary Children took the first half of the meeting singing songs to their fathers and giving talks about their fathers. It was nice and in Priesthood Meeting the primary brought envelopes in for each of the men with whistle lollypops....Cool...I hadn't seen whistle pops in 20 years!!! The father's liked it a lot.

I went to literacy class where people who do not know how to read, write, speak, or understand English have a class to teach them. One of my new assignments is the Area Literacy Committee. It was a chance to see how the program is working. Usually the class is almost all women. Many of the men have been to school and so know how to read and write English. The women were often kept at home to help with raising the children, cooking meals, etc. and have little education. I had a great time. There were two women from Togo who spoke French and had come for the first time. The rest of the class was already able to read English..in fact one of the Sisters there read from the Scriptures in English to begin the class. It was a rather long scripture and I was impressed she could do it. There were about 8 in the class. While the teacher was helping others I helped with the two women from Togo. It was a fun experience. I just love to teach. I spent time helping them learn the alphabet, learn their names in English, and find words like I, me, of, and it in the hymnal. Another sister was working in "Ye Shall Have My Words", a church published textbook for those who can speak English but may not know how to read or write. So one on one I helped a sister learn to understand words she read...like "Diligently" from, "Seek me diligently". It was fun to discuss with her. She had great interpretations, I simply added to her understanding. Oh how I love to teach.

This afternoon I helped one of the missionaries learn to blog.

It's been a welcome quiet day. I love the peace of Sundays.

4 comments:

Bob said...

Thanks, Marian, for keeping your blog so informative. Thou almost persuadeth me to travel to Ghana!

Bob

Charmaine Anderson said...

I can see how fulfilling it is to work with the people and see their needs and be able to help and support them. It is great you are having these opportunities. Charmaine

Jessica said...

"There they are" said Beck. Nice to see our Grandparents. We love you and you both look fantastic.

Kayla Casos said...

happy fathers day, grandpa! i love you so much, and miss you tons. i hope you are having, well, fun teaching all the people about the lord. I know your works are appreciated, and i respect you and grandma a lot. know that we all are thinking about you, and continue to make us proud.