Saturday, July 11, 2009

Rain


It is the rainy season in Accra. It starts in February and usually ends by July. But this year it has just gone on and on. Rain, rain and more rain everyday. I think I can identify with Noah - only I don't have a boat!

I feel rain on my head as I walk to work and more rain as I walk back home. The bricks that form the walkways here in the temple grounds are wet almost always. The cement benches are beginning to show some black mold as are the roof tops of buildings. But the grass is emerald green and the trees and plants are feeling very blessed. The view out our apartment window is lush green, but no blue skies. The view out our office window is much the same.


The towns and villages around Accra have dirt pouring into their streets and ponds forming in the ruts of their dirt roads. The commute to work is becomming increasingly difficult for some of our employees, as roads become challenging to pass.

Our good friends the Miles flew home last week. Pres. and Sr. Sabey brought them to Accra to catch their flight. The main highway from Accra to Cape Coast has become a lake in the town of Mankessin. No worry....the cars lined up and the Ghanains grabbed hold instructing them to turn off their engines as they took hold and pushed the cars through the lake that had formed over a mile wide! Their income was never so good as dashes (tips) were deposited in their hands.


Well I know the sun will come out tomorrow!!! ...and I will smile! I like sun.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Obama visits Ghana and no mention of it on Publishing Peace? Talk about media bias!

Charmaine Anderson said...

Your weather sounds like Utah. I don't ever remember this much rain from spring to summer as we have had...at least every other day and so cool. It has been nice in a way. Everything is very green here for this time of year. I read in the paper that it has been record cold throughout the country this spring...so much for global warming.

Kayla Casos said...

wow i can't believe how much rain has been pouring down in ghana!! a highway made into a lake??? incredible. I feel a little sorry for them!