
Today we attended church in the Nungua Wards. It was a special treat. Each week we visit a different ward. Lately we have been in the branches. The branches are usually out in the villages. Often the meetings are held in Twi or Fonte. There is evidence of struggle in testimonies. Today we witnessed the meaning of a "Center of Strength". People came in families, scriptures in hand, and smiles on their faces. The talks in the sacrament meetings we attended were powerful, filled with the spirit. The gospel doctrine teacher was a return missionary filled with the knowledge of the gospel, focused on the lesson's objective, and able to illicit comments from the members. It was a beautiful experience. I felt God must have directed us to this congregation. I needed to see the strength of the gospel in Africa today.
One comment during a lesson struck me: "if we don't marry the scriptures, we have difficulty getting answers to our prayers. Many answers to prayers are found in the scriptures. Many others come because as we read the scriptures we tune into the spirit - our eyes and mind become open - and we are able to hear the direction we need.
In one talk we learned about Testimony - our personal witness. My mind was refreshed as the speaker said, "We cannot buy it, we cannot inherit it, we cannot create it. It comes to us through the Holy Ghost." Gaining a testimony is a process based on the "law of the harvest" found in Alma 32 in the Book of Mormon. We must desire to believe, plant His word in our minds, and then experiment on His words. When we feel we have our answers we can then go to the Lord and ask for His testimony of the truth. Alma 5:46 "I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true." I have often thought how blessed the children of God are that they are able to have a personal witness of the truth of all things. That witness gives us perspective in life. It fills us with confidence in following the Lord's commandments and in turn strengthens us to endur through life's trials.
I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. I bare testimony that it has been restored in its fullness: that we have prophets that guide us in today's troubled world, that we have scriptures filled with revelation to prophets of old that expand our knowledge of the principles of the gospel taught in the Bible, that the Priesthood is given to bless mankind, and that the ordinances are upon the earth that seal us up to Eternal Life. It is a day and time of extremes. The World is full of wickedness, yet the gospel is upon the earth in it's glory awaiting the return of the Lord.
4 comments:
Kind of nice that you felt to go to that branch today. And amazing how the Lord knows the very experiences we need at the moments we need them.
I liked the thought regarding testimonies..."can't buy it, can't inherit it, can't create it...it comes through the Holy Ghost"!
It's a feeling that fills your entire being and becomes yours. You can't borrow it either, but you can share it and you can give it to others. Thanks for sharing such beautiful thoughts with us.
It was good to read of your special Sacrament meeting. We too witness strong testimonies from the faithful saints we meet with each week. If you visited our ward, you may think you are in Africa. Many of the members are from African countries. They love the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
I like the metaphor of marrying the scriptures. That brings up all kinds of commitments to me. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment