Sunday, September 7, 2008

Mmmm Sugar Cane!


One of the workers here grows sugar cane. In talking with him a week ago I told him I had never tasted Sugar Cane and that I would love to try some. So yesterday he brought some for Elder Shipley and I to try. It looks a little like bamboo, but it much weightier. They take the outside cover (green) off and then slice the stick into pieces. To eat it you slice the little rounds into pieces and chew on it. As you chew the juice squirts in your mouth: a cool refreshing very sweet juice. After you've chewed it you spit out the reeds of cane. I ate quite a bit.

An hour later I got sick. My body must not like it! Now maybe the sickness was unrelated but it began preciously an hour after eating the sugar cane: nausea, headache and other less pleasant things to discuss. I seem to all right this morning except for the headache which continues.

Don't think I'll have sugar cane again!

4 comments:

Jon said...

As you can imagine, they also have a lot of sugar cane in the DR. I quite enjoy it, but it has never made me sick. That is too bad.

Holly said...

maybe you just had too much. . . sometimes bodies just rebel and all when you put new things in them. (like i know what I'm talking about--but I tried to make it sound good!)

Marian said...

Turns out it was co-incidence - looks like I had a brush with Maleria. As soon as I got on medication (24 hours later) the symptoms began to subside! Maleria is rampant here in West Africa - 2 of the Area Presidency have had it in the last 2 months, plus our Director of Temporal Affairs, and are PEF Sister Missionary. We are in Africa!

Kayla Casos said...

poor grandma! i'm glad you're not sick anymore. i would have loved to try sugarcane! i'm sure it's delicious.