Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I Love the Expressions of Africans in the Church

Africans have a unique way of expressing themselves. They are very insightful and speak from the heart. At our Mission President's Conference this week one African Mission President's wife said, "It is like we are a bug on the edge of a big room. We have so much territory to cover!"

A film crew from the US has been in Ghana filming clips for a family history training for the Africans. They asked general questions in addition to family history questions. Clips they might use in other things. Now these responses were not written out - they came spontaneously from the members.

One said, "The temple is like a magnifying glass into myself." Asked about Relief Society, one African sister said, "It heals us psychologically, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. If you are not going to Relief Society you are slowly dying. The manuals are like a journal of instructions to us from Mother Eve."

How beautiful is that! Can you see why I love these people. Their hearts are so open. They speak what they feel.

3 comments:

Holly said...

I love the comment on the manuals being instructions from mother Eve. What a beautiful idea. I remember being around my Nigerian friends in Spain and just loving the expressiveness of their language. Thanks for sharing!

Kayla Casos said...

wow that IS very beautiful. haha if only I could speak like that x3

Charmaine Anderson said...

We American members especially in Utah have always taken so much for granted. It must be a joy to see the sweet metaphors these people find as they search for a way to express their gratitude.