
My grandchildren have been dying Easter eggs. I thought they would like to see my eggs. They are always brown. Grandpa and I buy eggs at the grocery store or at the fruit and vegetable stand. They are never refrigerated. We bring them home and wash them in a solution of water with a small bit of Clorox and let them sit in that water for 2 minutes. We then take them out and dry them and put them in a container in the fridge. When I use them in cakes or cookies I cannot lick the bowl - anything with raw eggs can make us very sick - so I reluctantly (because I love uncooked batter!) keep my fingers out! Once the eggs or egg batter is cooked it is all right to eat. The heat kills any bacteria.
Today is Easter. The people in Ghana do not celebrate with Easter eggs and baskets like we do, though I did see some candy eggs in one of the grocery stores - Western civilization is trying to take hold here in Accra.(prounouced a-Kraw with a short a at the beginning and emphasis on Kraw)) Most people cannot afford to celebrate lavishly with their children. Each day is a day of survival for many - how do I find food, will I earn enough to feed my family. Many others are more well to do and could do these things if they choose.
Easter is about the Savior here. Our Sacrament Meeting centered on talks about Jesus: His resurrection and His atonement for mankind. It was in a way refreshing...and yet I love watching the smiles and the laughter of my grandchildren hunting for eggs in the grass and the bushes. That mind picture will have to wait 2 years for reality!
3 comments:
Hi, Steve and Marian; it's Hermana Whitaker.There are so many similarities with our two countries!We too have to wash our unrefridgerated eggs.We pray for your success.Our assignment also deals with donations to the Church.
Stay well! The Whitakers'
Not eating raw cookie dough would be the hardest thing ever!!!I love your egg story, mom. And I love you. Happy Easter! And give a big kiss to dad. I am so thankful this year for you both and for the testimony you took the time to plant firmly in my soul.
awwww poor grandma! i feel for you- whenever I bake i can never resist the urge to sample the batter!
lots of love, kayla
Post a Comment