Friday, January 18, 2008

The Call: Accra, Ghana

The call arrived in our mailbox in Nevada about 2:30 pst on Thursday, January 17.
After failing at booking a flight to Salt Lake because of the Sundance Film Festival, Steve jumped into his little car, call in hand, and drove 6 hours, arriving at our daughter Heather's home about 10pm. We were gathered: Jon and Jess, Beckham and Ira, Heather and Steve and new baby Brooklyn (their older children were fast asleep), and Robyn and Matt (her new husband) and myself. Steve gave me a hug and handed me the envelope. I carefully tore it open and pulled out the packet - the call for Steve was on top - my eyes skipped down to the name of the mission and I covered my face with my hands in shock - then read Accra, Ghanna. Your assignment will be the Executive Secretary to the West Africa Area President. What an honor for Steve to be able to serve in such a position. I wondered what would I be doing? I quickly found my call which stated that I was called to the same place to work in the West Africa Area offices to support office staff. It was a sweet experience. I have read much on Africa and the church in the Church News, in one book I read many years ago and in Meridian Magazine. I have been enriched by the art from Africa that has come to the Museum of Church History and Art in the competitions and in other exhibits through the years. I have listened to the documentary history of the church in Africa on KBYU many times - it has always touched my heart to hear of these saint's stories, and their faith. I think deep inside I have longed to witness the church in Africa first hand, but never felt I would be able to because of the pacemaker which keeps my heart ticking. So I was thrilled with the call and feel very blessed when I think of the experiences that will come to us in the next year and a half. We called in as requested to find that what they wanted us to know was that they would like us to fly (at out expense) to Johannesburg, Germany, or England twice a year for my pacer checks. The phone call was not to explain more about our call and we are filled with so many questions that may never be answered until we experience life in Ghana first hand. We report to the MTC February 11th! There is a lot to do before then, but we are very excited to serve the Lord in Africa.

4 comments:

Harmony said...

Wow! Congratulations!

Holly said...

I am so excited for you guys. I must admit, along with the excitement I did have a bit of a cry in the temple yesterday that my mom and dad were going to be so far away for the next year and a half, but, it was a good place to cry, and I felt better almost the instant that I started :)
I can't wait to hear about all that you do and all the people you meet.
My love and prayers are with both of you.

Steven Casos said...

Can you email or blog while you are there? Are we going to be able to send you pictures, and write you letters? Maybe we could even chat online or occasionally call you. What an exciting time for you! I hope that we can see you before you leave.

Sienna said...

Africa.... Africa.... Africa.. OH MY GOSH THAT IS SOOOOO FAR AWAY! I'M GONNA MISS YOU! sniff, love you grandma. I'm glad you get to serve the Lord, at least. Wow, going to Ghana must be big for you! I want you to update whenever you can so I can hear how you are doing
Love,
Sienna, your FAVORITE grandchild! (lol)