Monday, December 17, 2007

The Step


Sunday, December 16
Today Steve and I had our interview with our Stake President. He submitted our mission papers electronically - its a new age! I feel much like the picture above - we are stepping into the unknown.

It is a step of faith. Faith that we will be able to handle whatever challenge is presented to us, faith that our children's families will be able to meet their trials without our presence, faith that financially we will be taken care of. Life is never stagnant - there are always changes. We know while we are away, changes will take place in our extended families. We trust that the Lord will bless our children and grandchildren for our service. We have had to step into the dark hoping for light other times in our lives: When we made the decision to have children even though we had lots of schooling ahead of us. When we accepted a position in Cody, Wyoming postponing graduate school. When we borrowed money one year so that we could say we were full tithe payers. When we decided not to buy a home in Virginia (where WE wanted to live) and lost $5000 because of that decision, trusting the Lord would guide us to where HE wanted us to live. When we moved to Utah, even though Dad was offered a job in California. When we choose not to accept a position in Beverly Hills, and trusted our instincts to stay in Utah. Over and over we have trusted the guidance given to us by the Holy Ghost. Heavenly Father has never failed us. Our lives have been richly blessed in all of the years - we have never wanted for our needs, Dad's career took off in paths we never dreamed, and each of our moves brought blessings into our lives. We trust that this new step will again allow us to see the hand of the Lord.

We are excited. We are ready to work. I suppose by my birthday we shall know where and what we will be doing.

4 comments:

Harmony said...

Sister Shipley, I'm sure I'm not who you expected to comment on your blog. I just wanted to tell you that I think it's wonderful that you and your husband are making the sacrifices to go on a mission. My parents aren't yet retired, but I wish I knew how to encourage my in-laws to serve. I think it would be one of the best things they could do to set a great example for their grandkids. Best wishes to you on your mission! I know the Lord will watch over and bless your family.

Harmony Packer, one of Holly's roommates at BYU

Steven Casos said...

Mom & Dad-
The most wonderful thing about you is the way you lead by example. We may not always say it, but your children (and children-in-law :)and grandchildren are witnesses of your faith and devotion. The greatest gift we can give to you is to try and follow your example and teach our children to do the same.

Kayla Casos said...

ah grandma i am so proud of you! you are such a great influence in my life, and i am glad for you that you have decided to go on a mission. im not saying this just to be like- oh im glad she's going so she wont be around. im saying this like- i dont want her to go, but if she inists.... XD
im sure your choice will lead to the salvation of many souls, and that is better than staying for yours and others (cough me cough cough)selfish needs. =3

Mama Linda said...

Congratulations Steve and Marion! What a great adventure awaits you. We wish you God's blessings in your new callings and envy the opportunity your will have to serve and to be tutored in a very special way.
Hasta la vista,
Linda and John Hoffman